Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dinner and Dessert Recipes

We have been so lucky to have so many friends bringing us meals over the past few weeks that I haven't had to cook in over a month! We actually still have a few meals in our freezer that I'm saving for when I go back to work. I'm just starting to cook again, and I made this chicken taco chili the other night. Using the crock pot is the easiest way for me to make meals right now because I can prepare the food in the morning when Eliza is napping, and I don't have to worry about it in the evening when she is fussy and needs my attention. I got the recipe from a blog called Skinnytaste. It was easy to make, healthy, and delicious! :)

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

Ingredients:

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 16-oz can black beans
  • 1 16-oz can kidney beans
  • 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
  • 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
  • 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • chili peppers, chopped (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream.

via
I was having so much fun cooking that I decided to make a sticky bun breakfast ring for dessert. This was also easy and delicious, but not so healthy. The sticky buns are not helping me win the contest that Ryan and I are having to see who can loose ten pounds first. He is currently in the lead with seven pounds down, and I'm following behind him in a close second with five pounds down. Why is it so much easier for men to loose weight? Argh! It is so frustrating!  I guess I'll have to cut out the sticky buns.


Sticky Bun Breakfast Ring 

Ingredients:
  • 2 small tubes refrigerator buttermilk biscuits OR 1 tube Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits
  • 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/2 C. syrup
  • 1/3 C. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 C. chopped pecans, opt.
  • 1/4 C. chopped almonds, opt.
Directions:

Spray a fluted pan with non-stick spray. Combine the melted butter and syrup in a small bowl and set aside. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (if desired). Place about half of the syrup mixture in the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture on top. Lay the biscuits on the bottom of the pan, overlapping edges (closely together) to form a ring. Top with remaining syrup and sugar mixtures. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute in the pan, then invert onto a serving platter and enjoy! (recipe found here )

via

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs